Chief Financial Officer – Syrian Arab Republic
About the position:
We are looking for a candidate with a background in financial management and administration who is highly organized, detail oriented and very proficient with Microsoft Excel. Knowledge of EU funding is highly desirable. We aim to create a multicultural, friendly, stimulating and rewarding work culture.
IBJ is looking for exceptional, motivated candidates who want to be part of our ongoing mission to end investigative torture and provide access to legal representation to all who need it around the world. In particular, IBJ seeks applicants with a particular interest in law, refugee rights, and criminal justice. Candidates will participate in the IBJ program promoting human rights in northwestern Syria in the role of “Finance Officer”. The Chief Financial Officer will be responsible for financial activities related to the “Defending Human Rights for Syrians” program. They will join a collaborative, ethical and compliant team and will work directly with and report to the Syria Program Manager while working closely with the IBJ Field Coordinator to help manage program finances and accounting. Duties include:
- Ensure sound financial management and strengthen core operations system, local budget management system and procedures
- Manage global finance and grant compliance in Azaz, Syria
- Implement standard operating procedures (including timesheets, salary payment, procurement, cash advances, inventory management, adherence to donor guidelines, etc.)
- Track expenditures and variances and ensure accuracy of expenditures by providing periodic financial status reports and any ad-hoc financial presentations to program stakeholders
- Ensure that our partners accurately record expenses and allocate expenses to the correct line items
- Systematically collect, organize and file original and electronic expense documents to support budget allocations and ensure compliance with donors/audits.
- Support the execution of transactions in the local IBJ office in Syria, including the initiation of payment and other financial matters
- Liaise with local staff and partner finance staff to ensure compliance with all relevant finance laws.
- Facilitate timely audits and responses to auditors at Geneva HQ and local offices
- Manage office petty cash, reconcile and replenish regularly;
- Support the Program Manager in administrative tasks related to the implementation of the program
- Maintain a digital filing system (Google Drive, Dropbox…etc.)
- Assist with procurement and relevant documentation as per grant requirements
- Assist in contracts and price negotiations with vendors and service providers in accordance with grant guidelines
- Assist with IBJ in country as well as training events or workshops in Turkey
- Translate financial documents from Arabic to English, and vice versa, if necessary
- The work tasks will be carried out mainly in Azaz
- Undertake any other task assigned by the Program Manager
- At least 10 years of finance experience.
- A degree in economics is essential. MBA is an asset
- The ability to telecommute effectively from time to time is a must.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is essential.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, especially MS Excel, is a must.
How to register
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter In English to [email protected] before November 25, 2022 with the subject “Finance Manager Syria”. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.