Job Opportunity: Finance Manager at Tiny Trees Preschool
CLOSING DATE: Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. (Priority deadline)
Tiny Trees Preschool offers children a quality education and a joyful and nature-rich childhood: a childhood full of play, exploration and wonder. By creating cheerful outdoor classrooms in public parks in Seattle and King County, Tiny Trees makes preschool and nature accessible. Eliminating the cost of building, renovating and maintaining a child care center allows us to invest in what really matters: hiring and supporting a diverse team of
great teachers. Tiny Trees is an official partner of Seattle Parks and Recreation; King County Parks and Recreation and Burien Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services. Most Seattle locations are providers of the Seattle Preschool Program – Pathway, which offers free classes at Tiny Trees for children from low-income households.
Tiny Trees opened 7 locations in September 2016 and 2017 at Long camp (West Seattle), Carkeek Park (North of Seattle), Jefferson Park (SE Seattle) and John C Little Park (SE Seattle), SAM Olympic Sculpture Park (Downtown Seattle), Cougar Mountain (Renton/Bellevue) and Big Finn’s Hill (Kirkland/Bothell). Three new locations opened in September 2018 at Beer Sheva Park (Rainier Beach/Columbia City/Renton), Seahurst Park (Burien/White Center/SW Seattle), and five mile lake (Auburn/Federal Way/Puyallup/E Tacoma). Find more information about TinyTrees.org.
As Finance Manager, you:
Lead the work to integrate financial management and accounting internally from an external accountant. Manage and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment, working closely with our Executive Director, Director of Education, Administrative Manager, and Admissions and Family Services Manager. Tasks will include:
● Developed and maintained financial processes and documentation that enable the organization to make sound decisions that work for our multi-site organization which is about to enter its fourth school year.
● Implement systems for processing, tracking and reporting financial information in a timely manner.
● Perform invoicing, receivables, payables, receipts, disbursements and general ledger functions.
● Generate monthly (and other as required) financial statements in a timely manner to provide leaders with the information needed to effectively manage the organization and align financial management in service of the organization’s mission.
● Present monthly financial information to the Board Finance Committee and provide staff support as requested.
● Ensure that account reconciliations and journal entries are completed.
● Prepare schedules for financial review/annual audit and 990 filing and assist with special projects.
● Work with an external accounting firm to perform the annual review/annual audit and 990.
● Communicate technical financial information effectively, orally and in writing, to stakeholders with a wide range of familiarity with financial terminology.
● Ensure that the organization is compliant with regulations by aligning with best practices, financial operations, chart of accounts, value setting, budgeting, reporting and internal controls.
● Lead and assist in the design, development, implementation, maintenance and modification of the budget (including multi-year cash flow projections).
● Analyzed financial information and prepared a dashboard for management and the board to discuss the financial health of the organization.
● Work with program staff to create financial statements to meet various grant reporting requirements.
● Participate in professional development opportunities to improve skills and knowledge on financial matters.
Skills & Diplomas:
● Three or more years of accounting experience in a not-for-profit environment.
● Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field (or equivalent work experience).
● Proficiency in QuickBooks (desktop and online) and MS Excel.
● Working knowledge of financial accounting systems that interface with QuickBooks including bill.com, Expensify, CuraCubby.
● Working knowledge of accounting principles, fund accounting, GAAP, non-profit accounting, laws, tax codes, government regulations and best practices.
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills, a high degree of integrity and cultural versatility.
● Manages time and projects effectively, meeting or exceeding deadlines and sufficiently anticipating the duration of tasks.
● Demonstrates autonomy by staying organized and keeping track of projects and tasks.
● Actively learns on the job by being exposed to new challenges, training opportunities and learning from others.
● Independently gathers information to perform financial analysis and explain complex concepts to unfamiliar audiences.
● Ability to solve problems with creativity and resourcefulness.
● Effective oral and written communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail and maintain confidentiality.
● Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
● Passion and commitment to the mission of Tiny Trees.
● Background check required.
Job Title: Finance Manager
▪ Reports to the Executive Director.
▪ This is an exempt position of 0.8 FTE (32 hours per week, Monday to Friday).
▪ Location: This position is based in the impact HUB at 220 2nd Avenue at Pioneer Square.
Salary: The salary range is $47,000 to $50,000 per year.
Advantages: The following benefits will be pro-rated for the .8 position and allocated to bi-weekly pay periods:
▪ Health Insurance: The employer has provided a Kaiser Permanente Gold level health care plan.
▪ Retirement benefit: 3.75% annual employee contribution commencing after one year of employment.
▪ Paid training: $350 Professional development allowance.
▪ Discounts on outerwear.
▪ 80 hours of paid leave (PTO) plus 10 public holidays and a few school closing days (total paid leave per year: 5 weeks).
▪ Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for assistance with issues that interfere with your health, well-being and productivity at home or at work.
Apply: Please submit a CV, cover letter and 3 references via our website:
http://www.tinytrees.org/about/careers. Deadline: Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 5 p.m. This position requires a successful reference and background check.
Commitment to Equity
Tiny Trees Preschool welcomes all children, families and staff members and works every day to create an emotionally and physically safe space for every child, family member and staff member while challenging our community to reflect critically to prejudice and systemic oppression. Tiny Trees believes that having a community of individuals from diverse backgrounds enhances our ability to fulfill our mission and creates a vibrant environment where all members of the Tiny Trees community thrive. Tiny Trees is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates and honors diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, race, color, physical ability or development or ethnicity when hiring its staff. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, male-identifying educators, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, non-binary applicants, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups. .