Live News Updates: IT, finance companies most ESG compliant in India; Infosys tops Crisil rankings
Information technology and financial services players are the most environmental, Social, and governance (ESG) compliant companies in the country, and second-largest software exporter Infosys scoring the highest on the key metric, as per scores prepared by Crisil. Companies in oil and gas, chemicals, metals and mining, and cement companies have lower ESG scores, reflecting high natural-resource intensity, and thereby higher emission levels, extractive use of natural resources, potential adverse environmental and community impact, and generally more moderate levels of disclosure, it said.
!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Twitter removes distorted map displaying J&K, Ladakh outside India
After drawing flak over displaying a distorted map of India that showed Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh as separate country, Twitter has now removed the wrong map. The glaring distortion, which appeared on the career section of Twitter website under the header ‘Tweep Life’, had triggered a heavy backlash from netizens on Monday as they demanded strict action against the microblogging platform that has flouted various rules on multiple occasions in the past.#TwitterBan was trending on Twitter with almost 17,000 tweets. This is not the first time that Twitter has misrepresented India’s map. Earlier, it had shown Leh as part of China. The global map, which grossly misrepresented India’s boundaries, was removed on late Monday evening by Twitter following social media outrage.
India, US alliance most consequential of the 21st century, says Congressman
The relationship between India and the United States is the most consequential one of the 21st century, an influential American lawmaker said on Monday. “I believe the US-India alliance is the most consequential of the 21st century, which is why I’m proud to serve as Vice Chair of the US-India Caucus in the House,â Congressman Mike Waltz said in a tweet. Congressman Waltz is the Vice Chair of the Congressional caucus on India and Indian Americans. This is one of the largest country specific caucuses in the House of Representatives.
Third India-Bhutan Development Cooperation Talks were held today in a virtual mode. Govt of India has committed Rs 4500 crore for implementation of development projects & Rs. 400 crores for transitional Trade Support Facility during Bhutanâs 12th Five Year Plan (2018 – 2023): MEA
Airtel adds more spectrum in UP East to boost network capacity, data speed
Telecom operator Bharti Airtel on Monday said it has added another 28.2 megahertz spectrum to boost network capacity for high-speed data services and it is even ready for 5G technology. With this addition, Airtel claims to have the largest spectrum bank of 72.2 MHz in Uttar Pradesh (East) and is well positioned to serve the booming demand for data services.
Third seed Tsitsipas knocked out of Wimbledon in first round
Third seed Stefanos Tsitsipas became the first big name to exit Wimbledon on the first day of play Moday, losing 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 to Frances Tiafoe of the United States. It was quite a contrast in fortunes for the Greek who only a fortnight ago lost in five sets to Novak Djokovic in the French Open final.
During an operation between Pirtanr and Khukhra in Jharkhand today, troops detected an IED weighing about 10 kg and having a command mechanism in the forest area of village Bnadh. The recovered IED was demolished in situ by the troops: PRO, CRPF
In the meeting, it was unanimously decided to request Congress President Sonia Gandhi to decide the new Congress Legislature Party (CLP) Leader for the State: Devender Yadav, Congress Incharge, Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand High Court stays state Cabinet’s decision permitting Char Dham Yatra with limited number of pilgrims. The court has also ordered live streaming of Char Dham shrines. Next hearing on July 7.
Death toll in Florida building collapse rises to 10, 151 unaccounted for: Official
DU admissions: Registrations for entrance-based, PG courses likely to start from 3rd week of July
The Delhi University is likely to begin registrations for admission to entrance test-based and postgraduate courses in the third week of July, at least a week prior to starting the process for the remaining merit-based undergraduate courses, a senior official said on Monday. The Supreme Court had on June 24 directed all state boards to declare the internal assessment results of Class 12 by July 31 and gave them 10 days to formulate and notify their evaluation schemes.
From PM Modi to his predecessors, all of them worked to improve relations with neighbours. Atal Ji (former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee) in fact, once said, “Friends can change, not neighbours”
– Defence Minister Rajnath Singh in Leh
Special court denies bail to ex-IL&FS chairman Ravi Parthasarathy
A special court has denied bail to Ravi Parthasarathy, former Chairman of the bankrupt Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services (IL&FS) and arrested by the Economic Offences Wing of state police, for allegedly defrauding investors to the tune of Rs 200 crore. Parthasarathy was refused bail recently by the Special Court constituted under the Tamil Nadu Protection of Interest of Depositors (in Financial Establishment) Act.
The bold measures announced by the Finance Minister strengthens Indiaâs engagement with the world. Our Embassies will work proactively to expand tourist flows, utilizing free tourist visas and other supportive measures
– External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar
Healthcare industry captains on stimulus measures
- Welcoming the announcement, Apollo Hospitals Group Chairman Prathap C Reddy said the announcement by the Finance Minister towards the support given to the healthcare sector is encouraging and augurs well for a quick recovery of India’s economy.
- Healthcare industry body NATHEALTH President Harsh Mahajan said, “The pin-point focus on augmenting manpower and infrastructural resources for pediatric care is a welcome step and a new beginning.”
- Welcoming the announcement, Max Ventilator CEO and Founder Ashok Patel said that the finance minister has announced Rs 50,000 crore for the health sector alone implies the centrality that the sector holds at the highest levels of the government.
Kerala gets 14% more NRI deposits at Rs 2.27 lakh crore in 2020
Bank deposits by non-resident Keralites rose 14 per cent to Rs 2.27 lakh crore in the pandemic-hit 2020, proving wrong the prediction that the state was in for a big trouble as over 12 lakh of them had returned to the state last year. According to the World Bank data, the country received USD 83 billion in remittances in 2020, down just 0.2 per cent from USD 83.3 billion in 2019. The Bank also said Kerala saw USD 267 drop in monthly remittances per NRI, without quantifying it, though. Yet this was a massive improvement from the widespread fears the planners in the state had at about 25 per cent plunge.
Two CRPF personnel, including officer, injured during encounter between security forces and militants in Parimpora area of Srinagar: Officials
Punjab DGP Dinkar Gupta today held a high-level meeting to review the recent drone movements and threats posed by them, in view of the IED explosion at the Air Force base in Jammu. Police chiefs have been directed to also identify drug hotspots and arrest drug smugglers.
Stimulus package for tourism industry: Here’s what experts say
- Tourism secretary Arvind Singh said the tourism ministry was in touch with both the industry and the finance ministry and called the measures ‘welcome steps.’
- Rajeev Kohli, the joint managing director of Creative Travel that specialises in inbound travel said the measures were a bit like ‘smoke and mirrors.’
- “The finance minister has fulfilled her obligation of mentioning tourism but there was little substance. For an industry that once accounted for such a huge portion of the Indian GDP and employment, the government felt about Rs 300 crore was sufficient to resolve 18 months of damage. Rs 10 lakh loans will be helpful for some of the smallest players for sure, but will not go far for the majority,â said Kohli.
- Madhavan Menon, managing director at Thomas Cook India said the measures augur well for the tourism industry and will help build consumer confidence in travel.
- MP Bezbaruah, secretary general at Hotel Association of India (HAI) said the finance ministerâs announcement on free visas has a very strong symbolic message that the country has the confidence to welcome visitors and that tourism and hospitality is a strong pillar of the post-Covid economic recovery strategy.
Indian Olympic Association (IOA) accepts SRL Diagnostics’ offer to partner as ‘Lab Diagnostics Partner’ to provide services to Indian athletes and officials attending the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games and 2024 Paris Olympic Games.
Stimulus package: Foxconn on PLI scheme extension for electronics
âWe are delighted that the PLI scheme change in the base year has been extended by the Government of India in the light of a challenging year for all companies due to the pandemic situation. This thoughtful change will help us to accelerate our business and thereby achieve the qualifying revenue under the PLI Scheme,â said Josh Foulger, Country Head and Managing Director, Rising Stars Mobile (A Foxconn Technology Group Company).
Chinese EV battery maker CATL extends deal with Tesla
Chinese electric vehicle battery maker CATL said on Monday it has extended a battery supply deal with U.S. EV maker Tesla Inc to 2025. Ningde-based CATL said in a stock exchange filing that it would supply battery cells to Tesla, which is making Model 3 sedans and Model Y sport-utility vehicles in Shanghai, until December 2025.
Appointments Committee approves extension in the term of re-employment of Umesh Sinha as Deputy Election Commissioner, Election Commission of India, on contract basis for a further period of one year i.e. up to June 30, 2022, or until further notice: Govt of India
PM hails stimulus package
Measures announced by FM @nsitharaman today will enhance public health facilities, especially in under-served areasâ¦ https://t.co/we6DLXd3Ch
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 1624886461000
ASSOCHAM on Rs 6.29 lakh crore stimulus package
”Monetary expansion of the Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS) by Rs 1.50 lakh crore, as sought by ASSOCHAM through various presentations to the government, would provide immediate relief to the MSMEs which require immediate working capital with unlocking of the economy in several states,” ASSOCHAM secretary general Mr Deepak Sood said in a media release issued by the chamber.
FHRAI requests food safety regulator FSSAI to extend deadline for implementing new rules
- The Federation of Hotel & Restaurant Associations of India (FHRAI) on Monday said it has made a representation to food safety regulator FSSAI to extend the deadline for mentioning FSSAI License number on bills given by food business operators.
- The Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) has mandated Food Business Operators (FBOs) to mention FSSAI license or registration number on cash receipts or purchase invoice with effect from October 1 this year. FHRAI said that it is in favour of the FSSAI’s latest order.
Your Governor has not been charge sheeted. There is no such document. This is misinformation. I didn’t expect this from a senior politician. I have not taken stay from any Court in hawala charge sheet because there was none
– West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar
More than 300 drone sightings post Aug, 2019 along Pakistan border: Agencies
- Over 300 drones and unidentified flying objects have been sighted along the sensitive border with Pakistan post the 2019 abrogation of Article 370, central security agencies have said, even as they grapple to find a suitable technology to check these lethal sky-floaters.
- A multitude of border security agencies have also been testing some indigenously-built counter-drone technologies in the rough jungle terrains, desert and marshes along the western front but have had little success till date, officials told PTI Monday.
All schools in Delhi are hereby directed to not deny admission to candidates who have filed details of even one ofâ¦ https://t.co/NiDKtmqZXp
— ANI (@ANI) 1624885279000
Delhi Airport Customs has arrested two South African pax(s) for smuggling 18 kg white powder substance suspected to be Heroin (worth Rs 126 crores approx) concealed inside trolley bags. The two had arrived from Johannesburg via Doha on June 26.
Goa CM, state BJP chief hail Centre’s tourism stimulus package
- Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant and state BJP chief Sadanand Shet Tanavade on Monday welcomed Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman’s stimulus package for the tourism sector amid the COVID-19 outbreak.
- The stimulus package includes five lakh free tourist visas, financial support to 11,000 registered tourist guides, travel and tourism stakeholders, providing working capital or personal loans to people in the tourism sector to discharge liabilities or restart businesses impacted due to Covid-19, among other benefits.
In Pics: Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurates library at Thiksay Monastery in Ladakh
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurates library at Thiksay Monastery in Ladakh. "I didn't imagine that the librâ¦ https://t.co/ySAySMHpRg
— ANI (@ANI) 1624884013000
Foreign Secretary Shringla to address UNSC debate on children and armed conflict
- Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla will address the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) high-level open debate on children and armed conflict on Monday evening through video conferencing.
- According to the office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict, the open debate will consider the findings of the annual report of the Secretary-General on children and armed conflict.
- It will also be an opportunity to focus on issues related to the implementation of the children and armed conflict agenda, including the mid-and long-term impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the protection of children in conflict as well as the importance of a gender perspective in child protection, considering the specific risks faced by girls in armed conflict.
Handset PLI timeline extension: What experts say
- âThis extension would not only support the Governmentâs efforts to establish India as an integral part of the Global Value Chain (GVC) in the electronics sector, it will also support developing Indian Champion companies to tap the Global as well as Indian markets through the PLI,â Pankaj Mohindroo Chairman, India Cellular and Electronics Association (ICEA) said.
- Sunil Vachani, executive chairman, Dixon Technologies called it a âtimelyâ announcement, âwhich not only serves the PLI companies but also boosts the confidence of many others who are keen on investing in the Indian manufacturing space,â said Sunil Vachani, executive chairman, Dixon Technologies.
Rupee ends flat at 74.19 per US dollar
The rupee inched up 1 paisa to settle at 74.19 against the US dollar on Monday amid firm crude oil prices and a lacklustre trend in domestic equities. At the interbank foreign exchange market, the rupee opened at 74.24 per dollar as against its previous close of 74.20. It hovered in a range of 74.18 to 74.27 during the day, before ending at 74.19 against the greenback.
PM has decided to release postal stamps in his (PV Narasimha Rao) memory in the presence of eminent people from Andhra Pradesh & Telangana
– MoS (Home) G Kishan Reddy
Punjab Congress leader Navjot Singh Sidhu to meet Rahul Gandhi in Delhi tomorrow.
Handset PLI timeline extension: What expert says
âWith this decision, the government will not only achieve all the objectives of industry building, job creation, and GDP growth, but the even bigger one is, that we have announced to the whole world that the government is there to support the industry. Now is the time for, “Make in India”,â said Hari Om Rai, chairman of Lava International.
The National Commission for Women today launched a project series – âTraining Programme of Protection Officers in addressing Domestic Violenceâ and their specific needs in responding to victims of domestic violence. Union Minister Smriti Irani also attended the inaugural session
SpiceJet plans to raise funds; shares gain over 2 pc
No-frills carrier SpiceJet plans to raise funds through issuance of equity shares or debt instruments and the proposal will be discussed at its board meeting on Wednesday. The proposal comes at a time when the airline industry is grappling with strong headwinds due to the coronavirus pandemic that has also resulted in less occupancy in many flights.
5.3 magnitude earthquake hits Bonin Islands, Japan
An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.3 jolted Bonin Islands, Japan, at 9.12 GMT on Monday, the US Geological Survey (USGS) said. The epicenter, with a depth of 16.16 km, was initially determined to be at 26.817 degrees north latitude and 142.9697 degrees east longitude.
I have written three letters for removal of West Bengal Governor. He is a corrupt man, his name was in the chargesheet of hawala jain case in 1996
– West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
Full breakup of economic relief measures announced today
Economic Relief Measures announced for various sectors Total: Rs 6,28,993 crore Full breakup shared below. https://t.co/ytQ2QGkB0v
— Anurag Thakur (@ianuragthakur) 1624877485000
We are assuming that there are people who are willing to travel…the free travel visa scheme will have an effect: Debashis Panda, secretary DFS
These measures to ensure money to come into the hands of small and medium enterprises
– Debasish Panda, secretary, DFS
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharman’s stimulus package for economy totals Rs 6.29 lakh cr.
Snapshot of schemes announced today
Govt to streamline process for PPP projects and asset monetisation: FM
The aim is to ensure speedy clearance of projects to facilitate private sector’s efficiencies in financing construction and management of infrastructure: Finance Ministry
Details of Power Distribution Scheme
FinMin announces Rs 3.03 lakh cr reform plan to charge up discoms
Govt announces new package to bring broadband to all villages
FM announces extension of production-linked incentives for large-scale electronics manufacturing by one year till 2025-26
â¢ PLI Scheme tenure extended for Large Scale Electronics Manufacturing https://t.co/4jx0HRqkPn
— Office of Mr. Anurag Thakur (@Anurag_Office) 1624876751000
Digital India gets Rs 19,041 cr support
Details of new package to boost exports
Govt proposes to infuse equity in ECGC over 5 years to boost export insurance cover by Rs 88,000cr
To boost exports, govt announces Rs 33,000 cr package for exports through NEIA
Govt announces Rs 77.45 cr package for NERAMAC
â¢ Revival of North Eastern Regional Marketting Corporation https://t.co/1dIdXmNSmF
— Office of Mr. Anurag Thakur (@Anurag_Office) 1624875922000
India’s fight against malnutrition & to improve farmers’ income
â¢ Fighting Malnutrition & Improving Farmers income https://t.co/iLY9t4yeHs
— Office of Mr. Anurag Thakur (@Anurag_Office) 1624875719000
Free foodgrain to poor till Nov 2021 to take total cost of Pradhan Mantri Gareeb Kalyan Anna Yojana to Rs 2.27 lakh cr: FM
Additional support to increase ICU beds, oxygen supply
Govt announces extension in PMGKAY which was launched last year for poor
â¢ PMGKAY Extended – Cost Rs 2,27,841 crore – Beneficiaries include poor & underprivileged sections https://t.co/FjKcHCBWxb
— Office of Mr. Anurag Thakur (@Anurag_Office) 1624875150000