Merlin Network – Senior Finance Manager (UK)
Merlin empowers independents to own their future. Merlin is a member-driven, music-focused organization that provides digital music licensing to independents around the world. Members benefit from Merlin’s premium offerings, but work directly with key digital partners. Our members consist of independent labels, distributors and other rights holders, representing tens of thousands of labels and hundreds of thousands of artists from every country in the world. Merlin works in collaboration with our digital partners, restores value to these digital partners and seeks to generate other additional benefits for our members.
Merlin’s approach has allowed our members to grow to represent 15% of the global market share. Merlin members include independents such as Altafonte, Amuse, Armada Music, AudioSalad, AVL Group (including CD Baby, DashGo and FUGA), Beggars Group, Cinq Music Group, Dim Mak, DistroKid, Domino, Epitaph Records, Foundation Media , Freeme Digital, IDOL, Kontor New Media, Mad Decent, MNRK Music Group, Monstercat, Mushroom Music, Ninja Tune, ONErpm, [PIAS]Pony Canyon, Redeye, Secret City, Secretly, Symphonic Distribution, Sub Pop, Vydia and hundreds more.
Merlin has agreements with nearly 40 digital services, including partners like Adaptr, Apple, AWA, Boomplay, Deezer, Facebook/Instagram, JioSaavn, JOOX, KKBox, NetEase, Pandora, Peloton, SberZvuk, Snap, SoundCloud, Spotify , Tencent, TikTok, TREBEL, Triller, Twitch, UMA, Yandex, YouTube Music and many other global, regional and strategic partners, plus conversations with dozens more.
Merlin has resources in London, New York, North Carolina, the Netherlands and Tokyo.
The Senior CFO will work closely with the CFO and CFO to manage and oversee all financial aspects of the organization including maintaining, developing and implementing processes, systems and strategies for the organization.
Merlin has experienced remarkable growth since its inception and is expanding its finance department by hiring an exceptional senior finance director to maintain and grow the current financial structure, strategically address our growth in the coming years and manage the increasing complexity of the digital music market. and our partnerships.
Position status, location and reports
This is a full-time position based in London (Covent Garden offices) and will report to the Head of Finance Shared Areas of Responsibility.
- Prepare accurate reports in accordance with the monthly schedule, including P&L, balance sheet extracts for five group companies.
- Ad hoc reports and financial analysis as needed
- Multi-currency sales invoicing, including monthly fees, advances and settlements
- Understand the financial implications of Merlin’s licensing agreements and put them into practice
- Manage Accounts Receivable – Preparation of monthly Accounts Receivable Summary including tracing old debts, reconciliations and escalation as necessary.
- Verification and recording of receipt of funds
- Prepare metrics for payment of royalty “breaks” and advances, and assist with other metrics for royalty distributions
- Liaise with the Commercial and Legal Affairs, Reporting and Information, and Member and Partner Success teams to ensure a smooth flow of information related to new projects and existing DSPs
- Process member and DSP requests
- Assist in the development and implementation of software systems to support the organization’s business
- UAT of new workflows
- Work with junior team members to support as needed
- Prepare financial and budgetary updates and analyzes
- Prepare VAT declarations (multi-country)
Knowledge, skills and abilities
The successful candidate will be an energetic, self-motivated and self-directed individual with a demonstrated ability to manage high volumes of multi-currency transactions in a fast-paced environment. Knowledge of self-billing systems and their accounting would be an advantage. The candidate will be commercially astute, technically strong and have a proven ability to work at a commercial level. Strong computer skills are essential, as is a proven ability to communicate effectively and lead people and projects.
- Professionally qualified accountant (or able to demonstrate sufficient know-how and experience to be treated equivalently)
- Sage X3 (Enterprise), Sage Financials, creating and updating Sage intelligence models, including Excel and other financial tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable with multi-currency transactions
- Attention to detail and well organized
- Comfortable with prioritizing multiple issues/tasks
- Ability to work under pressure
- Previous experience in the music industry is strongly preferred
A competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with the role and relevant experience of the final hire.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Merlin is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age or any other status protected by law. Additionally, the company strives to create a diverse, welcoming, fair and inclusive environment for all candidates, employees, member companies and partners.
To apply or recommend a qualified candidate, please send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] and include “Merlin – Senior Finance Manager 2022” in the subject line.