Sales and Finance Manager – Lookout Local Santa Cruz
ABOUT US: The Homeless Garden Project (HGP) is a non-profit organization based in Santa Cruz, California that provides job training, transitional employment, and support services to homeless people. As an important complement to these programs, HGP runs a vibrant community volunteer and education program. Training, employment, education and volunteer programs take place at an organic farm and related businesses.
Our core program is funded by a combination of individual donations, grants, events and earned income. On average, approximately 70-75% of our revenue came from donations, grants and events, with the remainder coming from the sale of products made through our training program. We are preparing for a period of growth and a new permanent and consolidated site; our goal is to serve three times as many people each year and increase the percentage of revenue generated by our businesses.
JOB SUMMARY: We are looking for a competent, versatile and committed team member as Business and Finance Manager to manage HGP’s financial resources under GAAP and play a key role in the development of the business by monitoring a business plan. Our team cares about the natural environment and ending homelessness. We work in a simple environment and value the essentials.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SALARY: $30.00 – $32.00 per hour; Part time; 16 days of paid vacation per year, 9 public holidays, on a pro rata basis; Some remote work may be possible.
- Manage all accounting operations
- Prepares the accounting calendar, reports and financial statements
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles general ledger accounts
- Ensures compliance with accounting principles and policies, procedures and contracts
- Responsible for the payroll process
- Supervises data entry staff
- Supports the continuous development and improvement of financial processes and systems, in coordination with other business units such as farm, retail and fundraising.
- Works with CPA to prepare the annual report
- Manage HGP’s annual audit
- Maintain banking relationship
- Responsible for other assigned tasks related to financial management of HGP
PREPARATION AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Demonstrable accounting or bookkeeping qualifications or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks Desktop
- Demonstrated experience in financial communication
- Experience working with non-profit organizations and non-profit businesses desirable but not essential
- Ability to recognize problems and provide solutions
- Effective communication and proven ability to supervise and develop the skills of others
HOW TO REGISTER: If interested, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to Darrie Ganzhorn, Executive Director, [email protected] Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.